A Seat at The Table: Justice for All?

Working "on the same side" of justice does not mean that motives and actions seamlessly align. Take, for example, the frustrations expressed by staff of Disability Rights Ohio. Prosecution of crimes involving disabled victims can involve multiple hurdles, but a surprising obstacle our speakers note is the fight to convince law enforcement of a disabled victim's credibility. 

This chat did hit me on a personal level, as I am a disabled individual who was a victim of a crime. When I sat down with local Ohio law enforcement, they worried that prosecuting my case would be in vain, because the events were not ideal to show firm proof. Further, my disability might be used to call into question the validity of my retelling of the events. My "justice" was a well-meaning platitude and a reminder of how to "properly" react, should I ever again be a victim of the same crime.

Upon my return, I intend to work diligently in support of Disability Rights Ohio and its intiative to support disabled victims. Let us all remember that humility and dedication to building a safe community for everyone should amplify and encourage the voices of victims, not mute them under an ill-informed assumption of poor credibility. If we advocates are on the same side, then our actions should support it.

To locate your state's Protection and Advocacy agency, visit NDRN

Music Credit: Archie Smith

Comments

Popular Posts