Once around the universidade

Today begins the short-term comparative law program with the Universidade de Brasil, and I could not be more excited to share my experience. After a passionate introduction, we toured the university campus, which hosts about 40,000 students. The university's buildings are considered new, for the most part, but the campus does not boast myriad technological features or fancy toys. However, the passion and life within these walls is sublime. The students buzz with life, love, and knowledge, making it easy to get lost in the environment. Construction of the buildings manifests a love for open air environments and symbiotic relationships with nature. It's truly a breath of fresh air. 

Public universities in Brasil are free of charge, and the entrance process is not easy. Further, legal studies begin in the undergraduate years, so many of our program hosts are 17-21 years of age. I actually prefer this system, because our current law program does not provide enough time to engage with scholarship in a profound manner. Sure, I have time to survey tax law or corporate law, but today's lecture on telecommunications law absolutely blew my mind. I would gladly sign up for a fourth year of law school in order to strengthen my specialization.

A tuition free education sounds like a fantastic idea, but I am unsure that the United States would jump on board from a national level. Something must be done, however, with the tuition prices for university education. Student loan debt is on the rise, and many graduates are completing their education just to move back in with the folks. My loan debt amount makes me want to offer my unborn child to Uncle Sam, or some sort of Faustian agreement. Sometimes I stop and wonder if my debt is a sunken cost  . . . the legal markets aren't swinging the doors wide open for recent grads. That. is. scary.

So, why am I here? Why incur more debt to afford a ticket to a location for a two week NON-CREDIT program? Honestly, why not? Today we are discussing telecommunications and law, and I could not be more "lost". However, this feeling of a lack of direction inspires me and motivates me to find the light at the end of the tunnel. I want to engage in discussions, ask questions, and seek out more disciplines for growth and expansion. Not only will this help me to make more money down the road, but I want to find Chakir'. This summer, each of my activities will light a candle to illuminate the path that is right for me. One does not need to understand all of the details in order to create a spark. In fact, friction is needed to start a fire. Innovation is born of conflict, so I choose to immerse myself in discomfort. 



Comments

Popular Posts