A Numbers Game . . .

Grades are being released at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law. I told myself that it would not be wise to check my grades until the end of my program in Brasil, but I have already logged on four times this morning to check for updates. No more.

Some students buzz with excitement over their grades while others shiver in the cold disappointment of a "bad grade". Why? How is it that we submit ourselves to a system that reduces the value of our work over 14 weeks to a mere number? Our careers depend on the average of these numbers, these grades. In most cases, one or two more tests or papers are used to represent the culmination of our efforts, our knowledge. High marks mean rankings and bolded gpas on resumes. Low marks mean preparation for a public law position (?) I record this with full understanding that the aforementioned assessment is quite general, but I also know that such commentary resonates with many. High paying firm jobs refuse to consider application submissions if students do not rank highly. Gpas set sharp lines of demarcation between the student body, cutting off the unworthy low scorers from the elite top percent. Is this fair? Must it be? Should a number set a definitive tone when describing a law student, dismissing other factors?

It is with these questions in mind that I continue to ponder about how human worth is determined. Clearly, an employer desires to increase profit, so hiring efficient cash capital employees is preferred. The excellent employee provides a high return on company investment, and all is good. Right? But...

when is the last time someone made an important investment decision based on one qualifying factor?? I most certainly did not set my car purchase cut-off solely based on good tires. I do not choose my foundation based on form alone. The examples could continue.

And, yes, other factors are considered when making hiring decisions, but the doors to consideration are open by keys granted to a select few. One test. One grade. One gpa. One ranking. One way to "get in". Are we primed for a change in the process?

This is not a post, dear reader, to complain or feign superficial empathy. I choose to discuss grades, because the system gives me pause for concern. I began to question how such mechanisms deteriorate self-worth, motivation, zeal for ascension, and relationship building. Are we helping to mold better students, or are we chipping away at the light within them?

I do not have the answers to these questions, but they should be discussed. Narrowing the path to "success" can be damaging for many students. At the same time, should we not reward those who have risen to the top of the pile, encouraging sublime performance? Hm...or one might say, reward to the best test taker. In truth, these exams are not illustrative of how we are challenged or tasked in the work environment. Further, if the top 10% of the class are the only applicants considered for many "good" jobs (economically speaking), then how should the other 90% feel? What is their label? What is their worth?

Shall I compare thee to Brazil? I introduce to you Fabio, my first interviewee. Fabio's Opinion

Comments

Popular Posts