Can I touch your hair??



Why Kinky Summer?




I received several remarks regarding the name of my blog. Sorry folks, but it is not sexual in nature...well, sexually explicit.




Kinky represents my hair. Nappy hair. Natural hair. Black hair. In a way, it does represent an element of my sexuality, as I have grown to love and embrace my hair as part of my beautiful black womanhood. For many, such an action remains a difficult obstacle to overcome. As a future attorney, I battled with anxiety regarding my choice to "go natural". Would a predominately white, male, cis, market accept me as I am?? Should I bend my name, and my curl, to stand up straight in what Melissa Perry calls "the crooked room"?




I choose to take challenge negative aspects of controlling images of black professional women . . . it's not the road less traveled, but more the oppositional gaze.




I will explore topics on disability studies, critical race theory, leadership and lawyering, Brazilian law, and black women, but this is my independent study. It is my journey of growth. This will not be a recitation of cases, or a typical aggregation of article reviews. You gon' feel this black girl magic, whether you like it or not.






Comments

Popular Posts